[Sugar-devel] Proposal on how to speed up patch reviews

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 16:28:57 EDT 2013

On 25 March 2013 13:27, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org> wrote:
> While I agree in theory with all this,
> we can improve our actual situation if we look at our resources,
> time and people.
>
> * Time: we don't have a schedule, then feature discussion can't start.
> We can improve if we have a clear path and start to define what features
> will be included in the next cycle. I am sure different players
> right now have different ideas of what the next cycle can/should be,
> we need a agreement and try to push together.

Absolutely. I think finding consensus on a focus for the next release
is the top priority now. It's a discussion we should start, possibly
involving IAEP in it.

> * People: We don't have enough people really,
> and this situation can be temporally more difficult if some maintainer
> have by example .... a baby :) (to not use the classic "Linus gets hit by a
> bus")
> As a project, we need take care of the people working with us,
> see at the personal situations, and the maintainers should
> open the door to more people to be involved if possible.
> For a long time, we had only Simon and Sascha doing sugar maintainership,
> and was not enough, now we have Simon and Manuq,
> and there are too much work to do. I think we should continue
> work on trying to get somebody else involved as maintainer.

The main goal of my proposal is exactly to open door to more people. I
think it's hard to find maintainers both because of the time
commitment and the experience required. We should keep looking but I
suspect we won't find them overnight. It's much easier to find
reviewers, I actually can think of several people in the community
that could cover that role very well already.