[Sugar-devel] Features: Background image in Home View

Manuel Quiñones manuq at laptop.org
Mon Mar 25 11:48:16 EDT 2013

Testing the latest patch..

2013/3/25 Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org>:
> Good catch.
>
> Replaced by the more pythonic:
>
>     def _update_background_image(self, *args):
>         self._background_pixbuf = None
>         if BACKGROUND_IMAGE_PATH and os.path.exists(BACKGROUND_IMAGE_PATH):
>             try:
>
> Gonzalo

My first impression is that this feature can potentially hurt the
clean design of Sugar at some points:

- the icons color semantic
- high contrast, accesibility

I would like to know more about why is this a long requested feature,
who requests for it.  I suspect the requirement could come from people
who is used to conventional PCs, not from kids whos first interaction
with a computer is the XO.

>From the wiki page, I can't distinguish the good background examples
from the bad ones.  All look preety obstrusive to me.  In fact I can't
think how a good background could be.  Its colors should be far from
the grey outline, and far from the user colors too.  And the main
problem is that the user colors are different for each user, so a
background that works for a user could not work for the others.  In
case including this, a good testing contest could be: given a
background, provide the XO colors that make it fail.

In case we have concensus including this, I have noticed that:

- Adding it only in the home view kills the ilussion of having three
zoom views.  The background should be displayed in all three, I think.

- I see the home view is not correctly aligned in the vertical axis.

- Why it needs a restart?

Cheers,

--
.. manuq ..