[Sugar-devel] [SoaS] Plans for SoaS v9

Edward Mokurai Cherlin mokurai at sugarlabs.org
Fri Mar 22 17:09:18 EDT 2013

On Fri, March 22, 2013 12:19 pm, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 4:08 PM, Martin Abente
> <martin.abente.lahaye at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

Where can we find these plans?

I see that the SoaS pages on the Sugar Labs Wiki are seriously out of
date, referring to

Version 7 http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Soas

Version 4 http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick_QA

Release 1 http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Running_Linux_Applications_Under_Sugar

No version number given, but dated 2010
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activity_Team/Testing

V5 for MacBook, Version 7 http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Downloads

The Fedora Spins page doesn't say what version of SoaS it is offering at all.
http://spins.fedoraproject.org/soas/

Also, the Wiki fails to document release 0.98. It is out, according to

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.98/Roadmap

But it is not listed for any platform at

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Downloads#Do_you_use_GNU.2FLinux.3F

Separately from that, the Sweets repository for Ubuntu doesn't seem to exist.

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sweets_Distribution/Manual_Installation

Nor does the Ubuntu Sugar Team page.

I would take that up with the Ubuntu Sugar Team if I could find it.
^_^ Sugar on Ubuntu is severely broken. Most activities fail to start.
None of it should have been released in that state.

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Packaging

lists this page

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SugarTeam

which the Wiki says does not and has never existed.

I would be delighted to help.

>>> mean

Who in particular?

If I had the information, I would be glad to add it to the Wiki on the
appropriate pages.

>>> me

>>> I forget to mention for this cycle we'll also produce SoaS images to
>>> run on a number of ARM platforms. The first test of these should
>>> arrive around F-19 Beta.
>>>

>> +1 for Raspberry-Pi :)
>
> It won't be for Raspberry Pi. The armv5tel was dropped for Fedora 19.
> It will be supportable but that's through a different effort that I've
> not got the time to be involved with. It will worth with around 20 odd
> ARM devices including a new soon to be announced device that will cost
> almost the same as a RPi and be a lot more powerful.

Can we get a Wiki page listing them, or an external link, and can we
talk about testing SoaS on them _all_? If I could get funded to buy
one of each and set up a modest test station with proper storage,
power, and work area and all relevant ARM SoaS versions actually on
sticks, I might volunteer to do that in between writing OERs and
recruiting others to do so.

--
Edward Mokurai (默雷/निशब्दगर्ज/نشبدگرج) Cherlin