[Sugar-devel] Plans for SoaS v9

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 12:19:17 EDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 4:08 PM, Martin Abente
<martin.abente.lahaye at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 12:59 PM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > I'm trying to get a little bit more organised for this cycle than I
>> > have been over the last couple.
>> >
>> > The plans for SoaS v9 are going to be somewhat simple. We're going to
>> > stick with the 0.98.x release of Sugar and focusing on polish.
>> >
>> > I would like to see more people testing and using it during the dev
>> > cycle so I don't get the "My Activity is broken" post release or five
>> > minutes before release when we're generating final images and pushing
>> > them out to the Fedora mirrors.
>> >
>> > I would also like to remove sugar-presence-service but that would mean
>> > either dropping eToys or the developers stepping up to actually fix
>> > the dependency that they've only been promising to do for 2 or so
>> > years.
>> >
>> > Is there anything in particular that people would like to contribute
>> > during this cycle? Anything I can help someone achieve? Does anyone
>> > want to dig into the documentation on the web site to improve the
>> > process?
>> >
>> > I'd also love marketing to get involved since we've not had any
>> > publicity for a number of releases and after all Walter was telling me
>> > some time back that it's the biggest single driver in the wiki.
>> >
>> > Finally there's a Test Compose for the alpha available in the
>> > following link. I've used it briefly in a VM and it boots and seems to
>> > mostly work.
>> >
>> > http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/19-Alpha-TC1/Live/
>>
>> I forget to mention for this cycle we'll also produce SoaS images to
>> run on a number of ARM platforms. The first test of these should
>> arrive around F-19 Beta.
>>

> +1 for Raspberry-Pi :)

It won't be for Raspberry Pi. The armv5tel was dropped for Fedora 19.
It will be supportable but that's through a different effort that I've
not got the time to be involved with. It will worth with around 20 odd
ARM devices including a new soon to be announced device that will cost
almost the same as a RPi and be a lot more powerful.

Peter