[Sugar-devel] Activity to improve collaboration in the classroom

Gonzalo Odiard gonzalo at laptop.org
Fri Mar 15 17:12:39 EDT 2013

 A few times, we found simple operations are not so simple for teachers in
Sugar,
one case is share one file with all the kids in a class, request a task to
do
and later get all the work done by the kids.

I am working in one activity to try to solve this issue, I want share a
prototype,
and a few ideas around this issue.

JournalShare [1] allow select a number of items in the Journal and after
collaboration is
established, download the files. Pending is the implementation of
transference of files in the opposed direction. Right now,
display only the favorite items in the journal, like Portfolio,
but probably will allow select individual items or use tags to search.

I used webkit to display the UI and a simple server to
provide the data in JSON format. javascript in the client creates the UI.
Using HTML and CSS allow fast and easy formating. Right now,
the format is ugly, but will be improved later.

I think we can improve this to allow adding comments or other social
features,
like walter proposed webservices plugins do. Other reason to use a web
interface
and not do the client with gtk, is allow easy migration to other future
environments
or allow run this in the schoolserver to access the backedup journal items.

The most important thing right now is implement the transference from the
client
to the server, and test if can scale to have a entire class working
together.

Download a file is implemented with the downloadmanager from Browse,
but for any reason does not show the alert when the download start
but at the end, (probably gtk is blocking the thread or similar), is
something to solve.
I stolen code from other activities, like Portfolio, Read and the
original JournalShare from Agustin. To all the developers, thanks :)

Comments, ideas, bugs or patches are welcomed.

Gonzalo

[1] http://dev.laptop.org/~gonzalo/activities/JournalShare-1.xo