[Sugar-devel] XSCE Update

David Farning dfarning at activitycentral.com
Fri Jun 28 09:53:02 EDT 2013

Time for the second installment to the XSCE Update.

- Deployments-

1. Bhagmalpur, India - http://bhagmalpur.wordpress.com/ . The update
to XSCE is complete in Bhagmalpur. It will be interesting to see what
Sameer concluded based on the statistics generation system. -- Thanks
Sameer and Anish

2. Haiti - http://haitidreams.wordpress.com/ . Haiti was the first
'real world test' for XSCE started a couple of months ago. Many of the
ideas for XSCE come from George's and Adam's experiences maintaining
the deployment. -- Thanks George and Adam

3. OLPC Australia - https://www.laptop.org.au/ . Much of the planning
for XSCE comes from the experience of Jerry, the lead developer of
OLPC AU. Jerry lives in Canada while maintaining a 5000 unit
deployment which is is the process of expanding to 50,000 XO4s. --
Thanks Jerry

4. Solomon Islands - http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Solomon_Islands .
Working with David has been a great help to the project. For the past
couple of weeks, David has been asking a series of questions about
testing and deploying XSCE in the Solomon Islands. Many of the
questions involve working in a low bandwidth environment. We hope we
learn from his questions and can create something which meets his
needs. -- Thanks David

5. Dominican Republic - http://olpcdr.wordpress.com/ . Last week
Ruben, from OLPC-A, joined the #schoolserver mailing list to ask some
questions about deploying XSCE in the Dominican Republic. I hope this
is a sign of growing cooperation between OLPC-A and XSCE. -- Thanks
Ruben

-Development -

Santiago started using our new gIt workflow as documented at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Holt/XS_Community_Edition/0.4/Hacking .

We hope the recent modularization and the new workflow will make it
easier for deployment to upstream their hard work with needing to
understand the entire system. If you are interested in tracking
progress please see https://sugardextrose.org/projects/xsce/repository
.  -- Thanks Santi, Tim, George

- What does the SchoolServer Serve? :) -

For a general overview of the School Server please see
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Holt/XS_Community_Edition .

More specifically, a number of existing projects are working with XSCE
to provide their content. XSCE's plug in design allow these projects
to easily prepare their project for inclusion in XSCE

1. Internet in a Box - http://internet-in-a-box.org/ . It looks like
IIAB will ship as an add on with 0.4 in Sept. -- Thanks Braddock

2. Pathagar. - https://github.com/PathagarBooks/pathagar . Pathagar is
a simple book server for making custom libraries available to
deployments. Pathagar is interesting because it allow curators to use
widely available, cross platform tools such as
http://calibre-ebook.com/  to maintain those libraries. -- Thanks Seth

As always, please help us met your deployment or project's needs.

--
David Farning
Activity Central: http://www.activitycentral.com