[Sugar-devel] rethinking your icon customization patch

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Thu Jun 20 07:32:23 EDT 2013

On 06/20/2013 12:16 PM, Daniel Narvaez wrote:
> On Thursday, 20 June 2013, Simon Schampijer wrote:
>
>> This thread is about the technical solving of the issue, did we agree on
>> making this change, really? I am not at all convinced.
>>

> The technical solution proposed here has pretty strong implications on the
> feature though. It becomes completely optional being an activity. That
> might affect our decision on making the change or not.

For such a change I would like to see a design discussion first
independent from the implementation. It is relatively easy to quickly
implement something that sort of works, to hack something but creating a
good user experience and work flow is not. There are all those little
details to consider.

The original question stands: do we make it easy to customize the most
central icon in our UI. And there were concerns that we should not do it.

As far as I understand the current proposal is to do it only locally. So
it would change the XO icon in which places:

The HOME/Groups/Neighborhood View for my icon?

Will it change in the Frame as well?

If I am sitting next to my friend and look on his screen for myself, why
do my icon have the original shape?

How would my icon look like in the members view of the Memorize activity
when I play a game collaboratively?

The color chooser in the CP uses this new icon?

We actually made the background customizable, the shape of the circle is
theoretically. The latter could be made easier imho maybe in a CP
section. As well, I still think adding a photo/drawing would be a
valuable addition. It is true it is not as present as the user icon
change but would help to personalize.

Cheers,
    Simon