[Sugar-devel] About customization of xo icon

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Wed Jun 19 03:19:14 EDT 2013

On 06/16/2013 07:19 AM, Gonzalo Odiard wrote:
> I think we should decide if changing the xo icon is a feature we _really_
> want
> include in sugar.
>
> I am not sure if add too much value, but probably can add confusion,
> more if is applied in all the places where the xo icons is used , like the
> actual
> implementation do. May be we can limit the change to only the favorites
> view?
>
> About the change in the control panel, in the past we tried to not add more
> items,
> like in the case of the proxy configuration, and that was a feature needed
> in some
> deployments.
>
> Other opinions?
>
> Gonzalo

I agree with the possible confusion if we allow changing the outlines of
the user icon easily: imagine the situation in the Neighborhood view. At
the moment you can identify more or less easily what is a user, what an
Access point and what a shared activity. This will be way harder if
everyone uses another icon for his appearance.

As well having the same icon for everyone does unite the learners as
well. Everyone has the same basic shape, just the color differs. There
are arguments for similar concepts like for example a school uniform
going into both directions, I think here it can be thought as a strength.

About the point raised by Walter that allowing the learner to customize
the icon as not having much value, I would argue that it would have
value if the learner would find out how to hack the device to change the
file himself :)

A counter proposal to allow for customization: I would prefer doing the
personalization with the addition of a user photo/drawing. You would see
this in the Palettes of the XO icon in the home/friends/neighborhood
view. We had plans and probably sketches about that in the early Sugar days.

Regards,
    Simon