[Sugar-devel] [sugar-build] Landing the chroot branch

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 11:33:23 EDT 2013

On 10 July 2013 16:17, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org> wrote:

> IMHO, are two important downsides.

I don't think the first is a downside at all in general. Maybe for people
using F19 only, but if they are really worried about downloading 150 MB
more, they will be able to disable the chroot (as discussed in the answer
to Daniel).

The second... I'm not too worried about... We don't even have working
packages for distros other than Fedora. And anyway I don't know of any
project that maintains automated build testing on multiple distros, so it
can't be that bad. The point has always been to test if sugar-build was
working on all the distros, not if the sugar code was. That was just a nice
side effect.

> May be I don't understand the benefit this solution add.

* It's going to work on virtually all the distributions, rather than on a
fixed set. I'd say that's the main complain I ever had about sugar-build.
Didn't you want to keep sugar running on Fedora 18? :P
* It will reduce sugar-build maintenance greatly because we don't need to
special case the config for each distribution.
* It will reduce automated build infrastructure maintenance greatly because
we don't need a slave for each distribution.