[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Feature "Enhanced support for 3G modems"

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Jul 3 00:10:32 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 03, 2013 at 05:50:25AM +0200, Ruben Rodríguez wrote:
> 2013/7/3 James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org>:
> >
> > "You will need to provide the following information to set up a mobile
> > broadband connection to a cellular (3G) network"
> >
> > It is ambiguous.  To whom should I provide this information?  My
> > teacher?  My broadband device seller?  My broadband service?  No, I
> > need not provide any information at all, I'm supposed to configure the
> > computer.
>
> That text is already there in the modem configuration section of the
> CP, it was not added by the patch. The discussed feature just extends
> the current implementation by showing the database of mobile providers
> for each country.

Ah, thanks, that wasn't obvious from the picture, and the picture was
the only change included in the mail.  The patch wasn't attached, only
a link to a pull request.  I read offline.

Does the patch choose a default mobile provider?  There is one selected
in the picture.  I have now looked at the patch, and cannot find a default.

The text is very long, perhaps it should wrap as it does here:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/images/thumb/6/63/3g_database_support_ui.png/700px-3g_database_support_ui.png
or is it not wrapped so as to avoid scroll bar?

> Modifying that text would require updating its translation to all
> languages.

Of course.  I do suggest that this text be updated, though not as part
of this feature.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/