[Sugar-devel] Yet another project to port Sugar to Android ?

Andrew McMillan andrew at morphoss.com
Tue Jul 2 18:18:06 EDT 2013

On Sun, 2013-06-30 at 16:28 +0200, lionel at olpc-france.org wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> In a recent blog post on the OLPC association web site [1], I read
> that there is a new (at least for me) project to port Sugar to
> Android.
>
> Specifically, the post mentioned that the work is done by Morphoss
> [2], a New Zealand company and that it allow to use Sugar on the XO
> tablet.

As is so often the case, the people who make the announcements do so
without any pre-release testing on technical people :-)

I've been responsible for the development of the XO Learning UI to date
and it is our intention to include a "Sugar" service of some kind with
that as soon as practicable.

We plan to follow the "Sugar on HTML" design as closely as we can, with
Simon & Manuel continuing to be involved in the work.

> I wonder if anyone on this list know this work and in which way it
> could be linked with the current work on HTML5 Sugar Framework?

I expect our development at OLPC to implement that framework.

> Of course it’s clear for me that it’s better to work together on the
> same project instead of working on two different projects to do the
> same thing !

Absolutely!

Personally I still need to properly understand at what stage the
specification is, and how much work will it take to get it over the
line.  I understand there is already an implementation for GTK in
progress, and I hope we can get an Android implementation done alongside
that as soon as possible.

I hope this helps clarify things for everyone.

Regards,
					Andrew McMillan.

andrew (AT) morphoss (DOT) com                         +64 (2) 7233 2426
             Immigration is the sincerest form of flattery.
                              -- Jack Paar