[Sugar-devel] Hacking onto the "appearing" and "hiding" of OSK

Ajay Garg ajay at activitycentral.com
Thu Jan 24 08:34:32 EST 2013

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 6:45 PM, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org> wrote:

> > Please find attached a sample screenshot of the "Speak" activity; the
> window
>
>>  > has been resized to 0.7 of the original size (the screenshot doesn't
>>> show a
>>>
>>> Question: Do all activities behave properly when the screen is scaled
>>> that way? (I don't know that all activities are paying attention to
>>> resizing events. One quick way to check is to look at what happens
>>> when activities are rotated.)
>>>

>> I will be receiving my XO-4 Touch in a couple of days; will answer  this
>> question then, after testing it in real-time :)
>>

> XO-4 does not support rotate the screen yet. You should try with other
> models.

Ok, thanks for the info :)

>> Just figured out one thing via Nitika's XO-4-Touch (thanks to Nitika for
>> bearing my brunt of the testing-questions !!), that pressing all 4
>> game-keys at once, does toggle the appearance of the OSK !!
>>
>> So, I guess, we DO have a point, wherein we can hack "resizing" of the
>> window.
>>
>> So, now I have another question ::
>> Where is the code for "handling game keys" handled (as far as appearance
>> and disappearance of the OSK is concerned) ?
>> In Firmware? In Sugar? Elsewhere?
>

> The keyboard appear because you pressed a key (you don't need press the 4
> at once, any key will show it)
>
> Detecting osk show/hide. is more complicate than should be, in my point of
> view. Probably, because the idea behind this is the osk should appear and
> hide in a automatic way based in the widgets needs.
>
> I think you should check the class DocumentView in widgets.py in Write
> activity, to see how the signals are used. Carlos Garnacho worked on this.

Ahh.. that's a nice pointer Gonzalo :)

It seems that only "size-allocate" and "request-clear-area" are the signals
to be considered (not sure though; again, can only  verify after a couple
of days).

If these signals are in fact emitted when the OSK appears/disappears by
pressing a game key, I think we should be done. We would have found a hack
:)

Keeping fingers crossed, and waiting eagerly for my XO-4-Touch to arrive.