[Sugar-devel] Hacking onto the "appearing" and "hiding" of OSK

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 10:29:06 EST 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 1:20 AM, Ajay Garg <ajay at activitycentral.com> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I wish to fix the bug, where some activities (Chat, Terminal, Speak for
> instance) are rendered unusable in the ebook-mode, due to the OSK covering
> the area of text-input.
> I have figured out a generic working solution for this - the idea is to
> minimize the activity windows when the OSK appears, and move back to the
> normal size when the OSK disappears.

I thought we had a different approach under development: to scroll the
window up in the case of the text view being occluded by the OSK? This
should be doable for activities that have scrolling windows, such as
terminal and chat. Speak, which doesn't scroll could be refactored to
put the textview on the top instead of the bottom of the screen. (I
suspect that whatever solution we have will involve some intervention
in some activities.)

> I have tested the re-sizing the windows; however, to make the fix  work
> everywhere, I was thinking of the following algorithm ::

What does resizing the window do? What other activities have you tested it on?

> a)
> Just before/after the OSK appears, make the current window smaller.
>
> b)
> Just after/before the OSK disappears, revert the current  window to its
> original size (if not already).
>

> This requires a way to know when and how the appeareance/disappearance of
> the OSK is triggered.
>
> How can this be done? I am sure there must be some gobject-signal for this -
> I just can't seem to figure it  out by manually browsing the code, since I
> don't personally  have a  XO4-Touch with me :-(
>

> Regards,
>
> Ajay Garg
> Dextrose Developer
> Activity Central: http://activitycentral.com