[Sugar-devel] Stepping down as Sugar maintainer

Sascha Silbe silbe at sugarlabs.org
Sun Jan 6 15:19:17 EST 2013

Hello everyone,

I am stepping down as maintainer for Sugar and some related
services. This is mostly due to lack of time, but even if I had more of
that to spare for Sugar, the way I work is sufficiently different from
that of the most active contributors that I'd do more harm than good.

For some time now, my business didn't have any Sugar-related contract,
so as an entrepreneur I can't afford investing time, effort or money
into Sugar. My spare time is pretty limited these days and I tend to
spend what's left of it on reflecting, relaxing and some minor non-Sugar
projects, so even as a volunteer I can't spend much on Sugar.

However, I will continue using an XO as my primary laptop, so I may
contribute to some of the lower-level parts of the stack (powerd,
kernel, etc.) from time to time. I'll also continue working on some data
store stuff (gdatastore, datastore-fuse, etc.), but strictly outside of
Sugar as I wouldn't be able to hold your pace.

It's been exciting times working with you and I've learned a lot. But
now it's time to move on and let younger folks take over. That seems to
have worked fine the past few months; hopefully it'll work out in the
long run as well. This side of the ocean, my current customers have come
to appreciate the way I work. And taking Sundays off for relaxing and
reflecting, I'm much more at ease. So everyone is better off now.

So long and thanks for all the fish,
Sascha