[Sugar-devel] Some queries regarding the Maliit OSK

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 08:26:18 EST 2013

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 10:56 PM, Ajay Garg <ajay at activitycentral.com> wrote:
> Hi Walter.
>

>   * I cloned the "walters-gtk-touch" repository, build the bundle, and
> deployed on my XO-4.
>     The OSK appeared fine now :)
>
>     First issue solved !
>

>   * However, any "thought" hidden by the OSK, cannot have the text added.
>

>   * I then encapsulated the "gtk.Fixed" within a "gtk.ScrolledWindow".
>     Now, the "window-resizing-upon-OSK-appearance" solution worked, enabling
> the user to enter text in widgets
>     even in the lower part of the window.
>
>     Second issue solved !!

Where is your patch? I'd like to look at it? Did you enable screen
dragging? If so, how do you distinguish between dragging and adding a
new Thought?

>   * Now, we know that a textwidget is mainly subjected to four types of
> actions upon a click ::
>
>         1)
>         If the click is "left" and "inside" the textwidget, text needs to be
> entered.
>
>         2)
>         If the click is "left" and "on the boundary" of the textwidget, and
> the "click held on", the textwidget needs to be resized.
>
>         3)
>         If the click is "right" and "on the boundary" of the textwidget, and
> then the "left-click-drag" is done, the widget needs to be moved.
>
>         4)
>         If the click is "left" and "outside" a textwidget, a new textwidget
> is spawned.
>

> As  can be seeen, there are two issues with the above four scenarios in
> tablet-mode::
>
>         a)
>         Cases [1], [2] and [4] are more easily segregated/differentiated
> using a mouse-pointer, but might be very hard to get "bang on",
>         when using a finger (in tablet-mode).
>
>         b)
>         Case [3] does not work at all in tablet-mode.
>

> Just makes me wonder whether an activity like Labyrinth is more suitable
> only in non-touch mode ???

Any app that involves text input and fine motor positioning is
probably better suited to laptop mode. But that said, you apparently
didn't notice the new button I added to the toolbar to invoke "move"
mode. It handles Case 3. And it is more "Sugary" than right-click (the
use of which violates the design guidelines and has always been a real
annoyance in Labyrinth.

regards.

-walter