[Sugar-devel] Problems downloading PG titles without a web browser

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 12:46:21 EST 2013

I had created an Activity for the One Laptop Per Child project which
downloads and reads the Plain Text version of PG titles.  I use the offline
catalogue and some Python code to list available titles in the catalogue
that match a search string.  For instance the child might enter "Twain" and
get a list of all the books by and about Twain.  Then the child can
download the book using the same program.

This has been working well for years but lately it has stopped working.
When I try to debug it I see it trying to download this URL for instance:

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/1/1/119/119.zip

Put this URL in any web browser and it will download "A Tramp Abroad" by
Mark Twain.  However, try and download the same URL using my Python code
and you get this:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /dirs/1/1/119/119.zip on this server.
Apache Server at www.gutenberg.org Port 80

My Activity is a much more convenient way of downloading books than a web
browser. For one thing, it gives the downloaded file a more intelligent
name than 119.zip.  I would like for it to work again as it did before.
Suggestions?

James Simmons