[Sugar-devel] Gambiarra game

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 17:03:35 EST 2013

On Tuesday, 24 December 2013, Aleksey Lim wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 12:22:14PM -0200, Gonzalo Odiard wrote:
> > One problem with this idea of multiple developers cloning,
> > having multiple versions and so,
> > is than we transfer to the user the complexity of deal with what activity
> > use.
>
> In my ming, you are messing here several points:
>
> (1) publish sources
> (2) publish "binaries", ie, applications ready to run
> (3) QAed and especially sorted out content which is the most useful
>     for particular auditory
>
> Back to the subject activity, here, just an example:
>
> (1) I don't see any problems to have bunch on source repositories
> (2) I don't see any problems that every of these source repositories
>     will be available in running form from the App Store
> (3) I don't see how (1) and (2) might prevent providing most appropriate
>     content for different kinds of users

How would current users of Gambiarra find out about the improved version?
With the current infrastructure if you rename the activity it seems like
they would be unlikely to...

> The current status within the SL is that:
>
> (1) git.sl.o provides all needs, pretty enough for people who know
>     how to use Git
> (2) technically, all git.sl.o repos might be uploaded to the ASLO
>     for multiple entities, eg, Gambiarra, Gambiarra-ng,
> It-Is-Not-Gambiarra-You-Knew-Before
> (3) but, ASLO does not provide decent ways to sort out its content to
>     meet the (3), especially for different kinds of
>     users/usage-scenarios (the Internet is not the same as one particular
> country/reagion
>     and not the same as particular school/class).
>
> Nevertheless, I don't think that current buggy status is an excuse for
> messing all three points, e.g., trying to keep one entity with the name
> "Gambiarra" on git.sl.o and App Store (ASLO). The better way for me is
> keeping crystal-clear picture in mind for one part of people and trying
> to fix it for the others.

I'm not sure to understand how ALSO ability to provide different activities
for different audiences is related to the specific issue with Gambiarra. I
mean, it seems like we are talking of changes that every audience would
like to get? If this was a fork to bring the activity in a different
direction then the thing would be completely different.

Thanks.

--
Daniel Narvaez