[Sugar-devel] [sugar-web] do webkit frames run on different threads?

Code Raguet iraguet at activitycentral.com
Thu Dec 19 11:14:22 EST 2013

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 12:28 PM, Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com>wrote:

> Can you explain where multi thread would be an issue in our code? Why I'm
> thinking perhaps simplistically is that we are already dealing with the
> window.sugar stuff being available asyncronously.

Yes, we dealt with this, already. But I didn't know that some browser may
run frames simultaneously.

Suppose the following scenario:
* order of execution is not guaranteed
* javascript from python runs on top frame
* env.js runs on an iframe
* different frames may run simultneously

js from python:

> var environment = %s;              <--- phase 1

if (window.sugar === undefined) {
>   window.sugar = {};
> }
> window.sugar.environment = environment;  <--- phase 2

from getEnvironment:

> if (window.top.sugar) {

  sugar = window.top.sugar;
> } else {
>   sugar = {};                      <--- phase 1
>   window.top.sugar = sugar;              <--- phase 2
> }

In this case, they would be running for window.top.sugar and it may result
with {}

Our scenario is running "js from python" far earlier than getEnvironment
(but not guaranteed), therefore, even with multithreading, this is unlikely
to happen.

I just a thought, but I would like to hear what do you think