[Sugar-devel] Adding compatibility in webactivity to webkit1

Gonzalo Odiard gonzalo at laptop.org
Wed Dec 4 13:40:39 EST 2013

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 3:26 PM, Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3 December 2013 20:08, Manuel Quiñones <manuq at laptop.org> wrote:
>
>> I think we should develop sugar-web looking at the future, which in
>> the case of GTK is WebKitGTK2.
>>
>> That being said, I don't mind a fallback to WebKitGTK1 if WebKitGTK2
>> is not available in the toolkit.  But I think that we should not make
>> anything special in sugar-web to support it.  If it works, fine.
>>

> Let me try to detail that a bit, also for future reference (let me know if
> I got it wrong).
>
> * Add webkit1 support to sugar-toolkit-gtk3, i.e. land Gonzalo patch. (I
> suppose it still make sense to have it upstream so that other distributions
> can reuse it easily if they want?)
> * Allow sugar-web contributors to break webkit1 support.
> * Allow interested parties to land sugar-toolkit-gtk3 patches that adapt
> webkit1 support.
> * Do not allow special casing of sugar-web to support webkit1.

Just to clarify, the spirit of this last line is:

* Do not allow special casing of sugar-web to support _only_ webkit1.

?

I'd be happy with that and it feels like a good compromise given the
> opinions people have been expressing on the thread so far.

Is possible add the following comment?

* If there are a way to implement a feature compatible with webkit1 and
webkit2,
with a comparable complexity, is encouraged use it.

Gonzalo