[Sugar-devel] web-activity: env.getEnvironment dependency with Python code

Code Raguet iraguet at activitycentral.com
Mon Dec 2 14:05:55 EST 2013

On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 3:26 PM, Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com> wrote:

> Those are hard questions :) I was also thinking about compatibility with
> old sugar-toolkit-gtk3 versions when we change stuff like getEnvironment.

For future changes on this, we add some unitttest, so refactoring should be
safer
https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-web/pull/94

Please, can anyone review this pull-request??

> What about having two configurations, one for Sugar running only inside
> sugar-build (what we have now), the other running into a normal web
> browser running outside sugar-build. Seems like this would ensure
> functionality of the contracts we currently care about? The sugar-web
> inside sugar-build would break if sugar-toolkit-gtk3 doesn't fulfil the the
> contract.

This is a good idea, but I'm not sure if it's priority right now... perhaps
in the short term this would bring-up again and we may revisit this issue.

> There is a difference between testing that getEnvironment works or that
> the bits getEnvironment depend on (window.sugar) works as expected. Perhaps
> where we think that difference might matter we could also have tests which
> tests only the contract with toolkit, without other code layers in the
> middle. But getEnvironment is so thin that it probably doesn't matter at
> the moment..

+1

> We would need to figure out how to automate tests in a normal web browser,
> but shouldn't be much of a problem.

Roger, pointed me out that datastoreSpec mainly fails on standalone mode...
perhaps we should review those tests to find out if they can be fixed. But
it's not enough for having two configs, yet, IMHO.

PS: we would like to rework a bit env.js, but we need the new unit tests
merged in order to continue. If someone can review them soon will be
appreciated.