[Sugar-devel] Sugar-devel Digest, Vol 58, Issue 47

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Sat Aug 24 03:50:49 EDT 2013

On Sat, 2013-08-24 at 09:21 +0200, Tony Anderson wrote:
> Hi, Jerry
>
> I think the difference in approach is that you have a centralized
> organization supporting widely distributed deployments. In that case
> providing an image with the necessary customizations is probably much
> easier.
>
> For those of us supporting a stack of XOs in a room, it is very simple
> to run a post-install (post-flash?) script. It adds a few minutes per XO
> since the flash has to be done by usb key anyway. This also avoids the
> 'locked' XO problem.

True, not much you can do with locked boxes.

> I had the experience in Rwanda of attempting to do a local OS build. The
> first step was to download about 10GB of repository. Not going to happen
> in the internet environment there. A deployment who wants to rebuild
> must make sure that it has the repositories available on hard drives
> capable of doing the build offline.

Maybe I can help you out with that, I can't see how you need 10GB of
data:

du -c -s -h build/cache/imgcreate/
2.7G	build/cache/imgcreate/
2.7G	total

plus activities

That is what olpc-os-builder has cached, from multiple runs with
fedora_updates' yum repo turned on grabbing the latest rpms when
available. Once the cache is populated you can use olpc-os-builder
offline, this might be a new feature since you tried last.

Jerry