[Sugar-devel] DataStore interface for HTML5 Activity

lionel at olpc-france.org lionel at olpc-france.org
Tue Apr 30 11:34:43 EDT 2013

Hi all,

As we decided to our IRC meeting last week, I’ve wrote a first draft
proposal for the JavaScript DataStore interface [1].

Basically the interface just match the DataStore existing interface.

The main issue is related to the concept of "file":

-          File is at the heart of the DataStore concept: the DataStore is
nothing else than a place to store files and metadata related to files,

-          But: file handling is not a common practice in JavaScript!

The good news is that HTML5 comes with few File system and Files handling
functions [2][3].

I didn’t test it but it should work on WebKit.

Do not hesitate to comment/update.

                Lionel

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/HTML5_activities#Datastore

[2]  <http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/file-system/pub/FileSystem/>