[Sugar-devel] Fwd: [GSOC ] Apply for Project Sharing Website

Rahul Gaur rahul.nbg at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 23:08:12 EDT 2013

Hello everyone !

By way of introduction I am Rahul Gaur Third Year Computer Science
undergraduate from Delhi/NCR,India. I have been coding in Python since my
first year and I have been Part of GSOC 2011 under GNU Project, following
that I have some amount of experience with Embedded Linux and C programming.
I am looking for some web development projects to work on during the summer
so I could learn more about web services.

I have started web development with Django somewhere around six months back
and I am familiar with pretty much of the basics.You may check my GitHub
link below to see some of my work , they are mostly just proof of concepts
or toy projects.

I have been working on couple of  Web Projects for my College :

[1] . Resultworks - Online WebApp that facilitates the management of
the Student Grades and rendering them when queried.(written in
django/python)
[2] .Internal social networking platform for the college - This Project is
also in python, here I am building a platform which will provide the
students with the ability to share and highlight the college problems and
get attention from the management.It has basic Social Networking features
like user follower/friendship messages and etcs .(it's not open source yet
) (Django/python/pinax)
[3] . Frontend web development with HMTL5/CSS3/JavaScript - College
Cultural Society  event site.

I have recently started learning JavaScript , but I am willing to put in
more effort on my learning emphasis (as JS is part of College Curriculum )
and I hope to be in a better state by the summer.So being able to work on
some real project would be really helpful for me.

Firstly I would like to state that I love helping kids get started with
programing and FOSS technologies and here at SugarLab being able to be a
part of team that provides new and interesting learning opportunity for
kids would be  a great amount of deal for me .. :)

That being said , I found the Following project on the ideas page
very beneficial for my personal skills as a student/web dev and also of
significant importance to the Sugar Labs community.
 Project sharing website

   - Ability to engage and connect with friends and classmates using
   various Social Networking sites/techniques.
   - Ability to post projects from various Sugar Activities (ex: Turtle
   Blocks, Etoys, Memorize, Physics, etc.)
   - Separate landing pages for different audiences (kids, teachers,
   parents, etc.)
   - Section to share kid created art from projects
   - Ability for users to create galleries (of their own projects, favorite
   projects, subject specific topics, etc.)
   - Ability to have “private classroom spaces”
   - Tools to support community management of the site
   - Multi-language support

I would discuss more about this project , specifically on the choices of
Frameworks , design and layout etc.Some of the features seems like they are
going to offer new learning curve and seems challenging : ) .

I am pretty much comfortable with python/django and if it's okay
with community , I could proceed with that or if there is better
alternative to do things in a more efficient way we could discuss more
about that.

I also plan to use Facebook and Twitter API's for user engagement on the
site , plus I plan to implement REST-APIs to this service so it would be
easier to integrate with existing codebase of SugarLabs and giving users
ability to share projects.

I have attached two mockup for the layout and design of the site, please do
provide your views.
I have made these with Django + bootstrap + jinja2 , I will push to codes
to my GitHub account in couple of hours.

 Looking forward  to your reply !

Kind Regards,
Rahul

Links ~ :