[Sugar-devel] Chromium integration inside the sugar shell (was Re: Kicking off HTML5 activities work)

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Mon Apr 22 06:24:29 EDT 2013

On 04/17/2013 05:39 PM, Daniel Narvaez wrote:
> Thanks Daniel. Lots of interesting points here!
> [...]
> 3. I see this project as a way of taking us closer to Sugar (in some
>> sense) on Android. Can Chrome webapps work as first-class citizens on
>> Android?
>>

> That's actually something I was thinking about. I have the feeling they
> cannot at the moment, but it would be useful if someone with an Android
> phone could confirm.
>
> It doesn't seem like a point against using Chrome in Sugar though, we
> wouldn't be any better off with WebKit, rather it would be in point in
> favor if it was possible.

I looked around if it is possible to run Chrome webapps on Android. In
the chrome version you can download from the store "chrome://settings/"
is not available, so I can not do the same thing I did in chrome on
Fedora and following the webapp examples [1].

I did not find any other means on trying this out, if someone has a
pointer, I have an Android device to check.

While looking around I came across an article [2] about Android and
Chrome merging possibly in the future. Some interesting food for the
"Sugar on Android" discussion and if it makes sense to bet on native
Android apps or webapps in chrome.

Regards,
    Simon

[1] http://developer.chrome.com/trunk/apps/first_app.html