[Sugar-devel] Chat Activity with translation

Aneesh Dogra lionaneesh at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 14:58:49 EDT 2013

Hey Prannoy,

Its good that you decided to do a GSOC project for us. Thanks! For "Chat
Activity with translation" project you need to first of all research on the
translation system options we have. "Meeting" uses Apertium, is it the best
alternative available? Then you need to form a blue print on how you would
the chat activity interact with the translation server?

For this particular task you'll be doing more work with translation systems
and the server end, than the sugar activity itself.

We'll be requiring an easily callable translation API at the server end.
The client (i.e the activity) will sent GET/POST requests to the server
containing in them the text to be translated.
The server should then respond with GET/POST requests containing in them
the translated text.
The client intercepts the request and displays the translated text.

Important trade-offs to compare when searching for a good machine
translation system:

1) Speed
2) Server Load/Requirements
3) Language Pairs

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 11:54 AM, Prannoy M <m.prannoy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I would like to work on the proposal 'Chat Activity with translation' for
> GSoC.I'm a first time GSoCer and am really interested to contribute.Can
> someone help me get started?
> I tried running sugar-emulator on ubuntu 12.04 but lots of activities were
> not working.So now I'm installing by the virtual box method.
>
> Regards,
> *M.Prannoy*

Thanks
Aneesh Dogra (lionaneesh)