[Sugar-devel] Chromium integration inside the sugar shell (was Re: Kicking off HTML5 activities work)

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 13:04:03 EDT 2013

On 18 Apr 2013 17:37, "Daniel Narvaez" <dwnarvaez at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 18 April 2013 10:25, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:
>>
>> I guess with Chrome we run into the same issues as with Android
regarding the openness, irregular code drops etc.

> I think Chrome is better than Android in that respect. As far as I know
the development is done in the open and there aren't code drops...

That depends, its not exactly an open process though and they randomly
change the components that make up chrome like the rendering engine with
little notice and no discussion. Its not a platform that I would like to
depend on as stuff you depend on might suddenly change suddenly and need to
be redeveloped at short notice or just randomly break for end users.

While WebKit is far from perfect WebKit 2 has been developed in the open
for sometime and the gtk devas have had the a ability for people to enable
and test it for 12+ months.

Add to the fact that chromium randomly forks all sorts of core os libraries
in non compatible ways and breaks stuff that can takes weeks for the fedora
dev to in wrangle. Also their contributors agreement is so extremely
unfriendly that I believe the legal advice a couple of Fedora contributors
received was essentially along the lines of "we strongly suggest you don't
touch that with a 10 foot barge pole".

I don't see what the attraction of chromium is.

Firefox might be another interesting candidate although we've had issues
with APIs lower down the stack in the past. Its got a nice fast js engine
which is the same engine going to be used by gnome so it might allow apps
to be deployed natively and in a browser (also see the demo of gnome apps
running in the web on openshift) and with their HTML apps being developed
to run in Firefox, Firefox os and Android (via that Firefox) it might pose
another interesting platform.

Peter