[Sugar-devel] Chromium integration inside the sugar shell (was Re: Kicking off HTML5 activities work)

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Thu Apr 18 04:25:37 EDT 2013

On 04/17/2013 07:20 PM, Daniel Drake wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 9:39 AM, Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com> wrote:
>> But is WebKit so much better? For example the WebKit2 decision _seems_ to
>> have been made by Apple engineers without even talking to major
>> contributors. The gtk bits are maintained the way we would like them to
>> but... I'm not sure that applies to the rest of the codebase.
>
> I think WebKit is better, but I am no expert.
>
> I have seen extensive technical discussions on public mailing lists.
> I have gotten good and detailed responses on the public bug tracker.
> I've also benefitted from information posted on bug reports reported
> by other people.
> And the GTK guys have done a great job at catering to our immediate needs.
>
> There are other factors too. Chromium bundles a load of libraries,
> rather than using systemwide ones, which is not really the model that
> we expect on the open source desktop. I think this is the main reason
> why it is not in Fedora (Fedora has a guideline against that, and
> packaging Chromium is no easy task as a result). WebKit is much better
> there, and in being in general a good "open source desktop friendly"
> solution.

Yes, that is the impression I got from the reasoning from Tom 'spot'
Callaway [1], and it has been like that since 2009 it looks like, state
seems to be the same.

Peter says that building of Chrome in general needs a lot of horse
power, probably one reason it has not been build for Fedora-ARM yet.

I guess with Chrome we run into the same issues as with Android
regarding the openness, irregular code drops etc.

Regards,
    Simon

[1]
http://ostatic.com/blog/making-projects-easier-to-package-why-chromium-isnt-in-fedora