[Sugar-devel] Regarding GSoC 2013

Sebastian Silva sebastian at somosazucar.org
Wed Apr 17 15:41:29 EDT 2013

Dear Amit,
I'm sorry that I took so long to reply.

I'm excited that you are interested in the Platform team's project to
support a distribution which
the Peru community/local lab is proposing as basis for deployment in Peru.

Currently we're about to reach 1.0 for Deployment Platform for XO
laptops - the Ministry has aquired
some Classmates and we as a local group would like to insure that they
won't put Windows on them.

So, for the Classmates we need to take the work done for Deployment
Platform XO and integrate it for regular
PCs. This means using the Sweets Distribution infrastructure to build
one system based on any of the supported
platforms [1]. I personally am inclined for Debian but I'm not attached,
Ubuntu would work for us just as well,
most likely it might be easier to start from work done in Trisquel TOAST.

Most likely the project involves lots of testing, integration work,
fiddling with virtual build environments, lots of
communication on IRC and likely some coding in order to produce the most
polished version possible.

I'm cc'ing the sugar-devel mailing list which I encourage you to join
and also find us on IRC Freenode in #sugar
channel (you can use http://chat.sugarlabs.org/ for that). You can find
me as "icarito" and also Aleksey Lim is the
Platform Team leader his nick is "alsroot".

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sweets_Distribution/Supported_platforms

Good luck in your GSoC application!
Sebastian