[Sugar-devel] Chromium integration inside the sugar shell (was Re: Kicking off HTML5 activities work)

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Wed Apr 17 08:54:32 EDT 2013

On 04/13/2013 02:42 AM, Daniel Narvaez wrote:
> On 12 April 2013 23:18, Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Lionel,
>>
>> we are more or less understanding each other :) I think there are really
>> three possible steps
>>
>> 1 A WebView with an html5/javascript based sugar-toolkit
>> 2 Support for web activities along with native ones, inside a native shell
>>

> I might not have yet made explicit what a web application provides on the
> top of an html page loaded in a browser, which is what we get with 1.
> Taking a look to the Chromium documentation is a good way to get an idea of
> it.
>
> http://developer.chrome.com/trunk/apps/api_index.html
>
> I'd expect those API to keep growing. The permission system is particularly
> important because it allows to do stuff which would be a security risk if
> done by a normal html page.
>
> (Hopefully they will some day converge between browsers!).

Indeed, the packages apps, Webapps or native apps (or however you call
them) have the advantage of being able to access the network and
hardware devices.

You can check out while building an app [1] or have a look at the [2]
samples, one is using the camera and microphone for example or you can
access/write files on the file system.

You can even try it out on the XO (non-ARM hardware) and install
chromium there [4].

Regards,
    Simon

[1] http://developer.chrome.com/trunk/apps/first_app.html
[2] git clone git://github.com/GoogleChrome/chrome-app-samples.git
[3]
https://github.com/GoogleChrome/chrome-app-samples/tree/master/camera-capture
[4] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Chromium