[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Sugar future

Austin Bart acbart at vt.edu
Sat Apr 13 03:18:40 EDT 2013

I'm not a vocal member of the community, so I apologize if I'm out of line.
But that seems like a key observation - what user studies have been run
(using actual teachers, students, and other relevant users) to determine
the effectiveness of the tools, especially the Journal? I'm sure that even
if it's effective, there are ways it could be better?

On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 2:39 AM, Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi...
>
> If "compatibility" rather than "transition" means that Sugar would work on
> both  Android devices and XOs (and, hopefully lots of other platforms
> including the RPi as SoaS), I see that as ideal.
>
> One thing that keeps coming up in these discussions is the importance of
> Journal. It is almost as if it is something sacred. My experience as a
> user is not extensive, but for some of the Activities (such as Tam Tam,
> FotoToon, and Memorize) it is definitely above average for this group... it
> is enough to make me feel qualified to make an observation that might
> offend some.
>
> I have found that the Journal, in its present form, is not easy to use. I
> could make some suggestions for changes, but feel someone, such as teachers
> who use it daily with their students, should be the ones to ask for input
> on this.
>
> I hope this isn't so offensive that someone decides to start a flame war.
> No, I'm not saying, "your baby is ugly," just observing that there is room
> for improvement and perhaps we should ask the real "power users" what they
> think.
>
> Really sorry if anyone is offended.
> Caryl
>

> Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 12:10:18 +0800
> From: martin at martindengler.com
> To: forster at ozonline.com.au; forster at mail.ozonline.com.au
> CC: iaep at lists.sugarlabs.org; sugar-devel at lists.sugarlabs.org
> Subject: Re: [IAEP] [Sugar-devel] Sugar future
>

> On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 11:21:26AM +1000, forster at ozonline.com.au wrote:
> > Thanks to everybody who has contributed to the discussion so far,
> > particularly to Sean for his well researched post on Android
> > developments.
> >
> > The choices as I understand:
> > 0) Do not have an Android transition plan
>
> I read the SLOBS minutes of 2013-01-14 [1] as not agreeing to a
> "transition" plan but a "compatibility" plan.  This is a huge
> distinction.  If I have misunderstood, it'd be interesting to know
> where the "transition" or similar language is minuted.
>
> The minutes indicate that no detailed plan has been agreed; there is
> no information about what technically is planned, just what technical
> directions are possible[2]
>
> > Tony
>
> Martin
>
> 1. http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/sugar-meeting/meetings/2013-01-14
> 2. http://www.google-melange.com/gci/work/download/google/gci2012/7972209?id=17001

Austin Cory Bart
Computer Science PhD student at Virginia Tech
http://www.acbart.com