[Sugar-devel] Chromium integration inside the sugar shell (was Re: Kicking off HTML5 activities work)

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 17:18:34 EDT 2013

Hi Lionel,

we are more or less understanding each other :) I think there are really
three possible steps

1 A WebView with an html5/javascript based sugar-toolkit
2 Support for web activities along with native ones, inside a native shell
3 Fully html5 sugar

My feeling is that we should target step 2 directly, because 1 -> 2 will
waste too much work. The datastore and collaboration implementation is
going to be pretty different, depending if we use Chromium or Webkit
embedding. Consider also that a better way to communicate then
"console-message" is not going to come for free.

I also think doing 2 directly doesn't add much bootstrapping work. It's
going to be a *lot* more complicated to implement the html UI stuff than to
implement the bits of bridging I described.
The only real advantage I see with doing step 1 first is that it would give
us more time to migrate Browse to the same backend. Admittedly having to
ship both Chromium and Webkit would be pretty bad.

I don't want to be stuck in our own html based framework. I explained in my
first email why I think we should jump on one of the existing webapp
frameworks train.

Anyway I'm satisfied that we know what are the alternatives now. And we
have a pretty decent idea of what they involve. I think when Simon is back
we should meet and decide which direction to take. It also somewhat depends
on who is interested to help out with this and what they would like to work
on.

In the meantime people can start hacking on the UI stuff :)

--
Daniel Narvaez