[Sugar-devel] Sugar future (was Re: Re: [DESIGN] Single instance activities)

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 16:52:39 EDT 2013

Daniel - thanks for that

cc'ing the IAEP list, since the topic of the future of Sugar is I believe
of general interest to developer and non-developer contributors alike.

Porting Sugar to Android was identified at the beginning of the year by the
Oversight Board as a strategic goal for Sugar Labs. There are several good
reasons for this. One is that sales of the classic PC platform - a computer
with a keyboard and mouse, 98% of which run a version of Microsoft Windows,
and most of which are theoretically capable of running a GNU/Linux
distribution - are in freefall (IDC reported last week -14% PC shipments,
the single worst quarterly decline since PC industry tracking began).
Another reason is that sales of handheld touch devices, the majority of
which run a version of Android, are booming. These situations are of course
related. The education market is a reflection of the wider market. As for
emerging markets, recent estimates from IDC predict emerging market tablet
sales will rise +60% in 2013, smartphones +35%, laptops +4% and desktops
off -4%. The ITU currently estimates 934 million active mobile-broadband
subscriptions for 2013 in developing countries; in Africa, there are 10 for
every 100 inhabitants. The overwhelming majority of these are running
Android (Apple iOS is marginal in emerging markets). It's not unreasonable
to suppose that educational software for Android could easily be made
available to 25 million children in developing countries.

The initial work seems very encouraging, yet it seems Sugar Labs doesn't
currently have the resources to make an Android offer available anytime
soon. But: now is the time. I believe fundraising is vital to achieve this
goal, at the very least to facilitate face to face Sugar Camps for the
community. I have ideas how to go about this, but I agree the community
needs to be clear about where we are going. An Android offer would of
course be of great interest to OLPC.

There are also initiatives we could take to multiply the size of the
community. In particular, support for the Raspberry Pi (which has topped 1
million units in sales - half of these since September -, is shipped
without an OS, and is arriving in junior high and high school computer
science classes) could be an ideal "OEM" platform for Sugar.

Sean
Sugar Labs Marketing Coordinator