[Sugar-devel] Sugar future (was Re: Re: [DESIGN] Single instance activities)

David Farning dfarning at activitycentral.com
Fri Apr 12 08:06:22 EDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 3:58 AM, Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12 April 2013 00:17, <forster at ozonline.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> When the XO was first designed it was an open choice for operating system,
>> desktop and file manager. Some innovative choices were made to optimise the
>> experience of new young users. Some I think were good, some bad.
>>
>> I think Android is the likely educational future. It is not an open choice
>> like the XO. We do not control the OS and are unlikely to be able to control
>> the desktop, file manager or Activity installation.
>>
>> I ask, what are the really important features of Sugar in this situation?
>> Is it just the suite of Activities? Collaboration? What role do we see for
>> Sugarlabs looking forward?
>

> IMO taken alone the Sugar features are not worth much. A suite of activities
> using a well designed, consistent UI paradigm, have some more value. If they
> all use a powerful collaboration framework, even more. Etc.
>
> I don't think Android is necessarily the future. It's really hard to make
> such predictions. Though, realistically, I don't see how we could get in a
> situation where we can control hardware and OS again in the foreseeable
> future. Perhaps the challenge is to figure out how to make the most
> important Sugar features possible in this new context. And while at it
> reevaluating some of the original choices.
>
> The HTML activities effort is going in that direction. I don't know if it's
> the best possible approach, but it's a try to address the problem you are
> pointing out.
>
> I wish I'd see the community
>
> * Acknowledge that we have a major issue
> * Analyze it and try to figure out solutions
> * Work on them together
>
> I'm not seeing any of those, if not in a few individuals, and that worries
> me. Maybe people don't care or maybe there is a lack of leadership... I
> don't know.

_Lack_ of leadership is not the problem. _Transparency_ of leadership
is the problem. Who stands to benefit or lose.... credit, control, or
money if the status quo is disrupted? If you track that down, the why
and how of decision making becomes clear.

As I stated before, I accept that credit, control, and money influence
decisions. It is the lack of transparency that causes people to become
disillusioned and leave the project.

Dave

David Farning
Activity Central: http://www.activitycentral.com