[Sugar-devel] Sugar future (was Re: Re: [DESIGN] Single instance activities)

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 04:58:38 EDT 2013

On 12 April 2013 00:17, <forster at ozonline.com.au> wrote:

> Hi
>
> When the XO was first designed it was an open choice for operating system,
> desktop and file manager. Some innovative choices were made to optimise the
> experience of new young users. Some I think were good, some bad.
>
> I think Android is the likely educational future. It is not an open choice
> like the XO. We do not control the OS and are unlikely to be able to
> control the desktop, file manager or Activity installation.
>
> I ask, what are the really important features of Sugar in this situation?
> Is it just the suite of Activities? Collaboration? What role do we see for
> Sugarlabs looking forward?

IMO taken alone the Sugar features are not worth much. A suite of
activities using a well designed, consistent UI paradigm, have some more
value. If they all use a powerful collaboration framework, even more. Etc.

I don't think Android is necessarily the future. It's really hard to make
such predictions. Though, realistically, I don't see how we could get in a
situation where we can control hardware and OS again in the foreseeable
future. Perhaps the challenge is to figure out how to make the most
important Sugar features possible in this new context. And while at it
reevaluating some of the original choices.

The HTML activities effort is going in that direction. I don't know if it's
the best possible approach, but it's a try to address the problem you are
pointing out.

I wish I'd see the community

* Acknowledge that we have a major issue
* Analyze it and try to figure out solutions
* Work on them together

I'm not seeing any of those, if not in a few individuals, and that worries
me. Maybe people don't care or maybe there is a lack of leadership... I
don't know.