[Sugar-devel] Kicking off HTML5 activities work (Daniel Narvaez

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 17:10:28 EDT 2013

On 10 April 2013 21:28, <lionel at olpc-france.org> wrote:

Hi Lionel!

> Nice stuff. I'm agree for an IRC session about HTML5 activities.
>
> Here some remarks:
> About 1: I do like your idea to have a UI less Chrome browser. However, in
> my opinion we should have one UI less Chrome browser for each activity. To
> ensure compatibility with existing Sugar activities, the idea for me is to
> have the capacity to mix standard activities and HTML5 activities in the
> current Sugar home page. So: one icon for each activity so one Chrome
> browser for each HTML5 activity. In that way we don't need to handle
> "chrome
> extensions".
> In a second time, when Sugar will be HTML5 only, your idea to put all
> activities in the same Chrome install will make sense.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly with one browser per for each activity,
but I probably get the general sense of your remark.

I agree that we should be supporting a mix of standard and html5 activities
for the time being, and one of the main advantages of using chromium vs b2g
is that it allows that. One activity would be implemented as one chromium
window. There would be one profile and one root process only though, that's
how chromium works.

I'm not sure yet about the implementation details and we probably need to
get down to those to really understand each other. I will see if i can
figure out a plan I'm really happy with in the next few days and then post
for feedback again.

About 3 and 4: Once again, in a first step my idea is just to call current
> Sugar Store and Telepathy API from JavaScript (using a better way than
> console-message). Using HTML5 storage and WebRTC make sense only in a full
> HTML5 Sugar.

I think we should try to define the APIs here and see what makes the most
sense. The datastore interface, for example, uses files and we need to
figure out what those maps to in javascript.
I'm not going to have time to work on these interfaces in the short term.
It would be great if you or someone else could work on a more detailed plan
here.