[Sugar-devel] Kicking off HTML5 activities work

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 11:59:03 EDT 2013

On 10 April 2013 17:24, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org> wrote:

> * We probably want to be on the bleeding edge while developing. Though
> downloading chromium git is almost 10G and building takes a while.
>
> We _really_ need modify chromiun?.

I'm hoping we won't need substantial modifications. Though I suspect we
will need patches like these

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~webapps/unity-chromium-extension/trunk/view/head:/chromium-patches/stable-25.0.1364/4-chromeless-window-launch-option.patch

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~webapps/unity-chromium-extension/trunk/view/head:/chromium-patches/stable-25.0.1364/3-chrome-xid.patch

Plus like with any new dependency you introduce I bet we will find bugs :)

> * What are we really gaining by supporting multiple linux distributions?
>>

> Access to more users and developers?

About developers, I tend to think writing scripts to setup a chroot would
achieve the same goal with less effort. sugar-virtual-env uses that approach

https://git.sugarlabs.org/sugar-virtual-env

And I tried it pretty successfully in agora too.

About users. Do we actually have people using Sugar on anything else then
Fedora? I'm asking because the state of packaging on other distributions
doesn't really look acceptable.

I don't know how is the situation in other countries,
> but here there are much more developers using ubuntu than fedora. When we
> want invite developers
> to work usually propose use a vm, but should be better if that is not
> needed.

I think the chroot might actually cover that case better (compared to try
and work with every distro). We should be able to cover more distributions
with less effort. Installing a chroot doesn't take much time and it can be
fully automated. It provides a consistent development environment for every
developer, which is the norm on other platforms and makes things much
easier.

> Is this what you are asking?
> In a ideal world, we should be able to provide emulation of the services
> provided by sugar to web activities,
> as the journal, launcher & collab to other platforms too, right?

I think working on other platforms (Windows, OS X, Android) would add a lot
of value. But working on other Linux distributions... I'm not so sure.
There are really few people that are already running Linux, so the vast
majority of the them won't care. Developers will care, but I tend to think
a chroot would cover that case just fine.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts! I know it's not exactly
on topic :)