[Sugar-devel] Messages from the page to the browser in webkit2

Thomas Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Tue Apr 2 10:49:27 EDT 2013

On 04/02/2013 06:19 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Manuel Quiñones <manuq at laptop.org
> <mailto:manuq at laptop.org>> wrote:
>
>     2013/3/23 Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com
>     <mailto:dwnarvaez at gmail.com>>
>     >
>     > Hey,
>     >
>     > Lionel's enyo-activity uses the webkit console-message signal to
>     send
>     > messages from the browser to the web page. This is a bit of an hack.
>     > Also the signal is not available in webkit2 (though it might be
>     added
>     > at some point).
>     >
>     > This kind of communication is complicated in webkit2 because browser
>     > and page are two separated processes. I figured out how to do
>     it, and
>     > I thought it would be worth to send a note to the mailing list for
>     > future memory. It should be useful for the html activities framework
>     >
>     > This is how the qt port registers a navigator.qt.postMessage()
>     method:
>     >
>     >
>     https://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/Source/WebKit2/WebProcess/qt/QtBuiltinBundlePage.cpp
>     >
>     > This code is part of an extension. It should be possible to write an
>     > extension for webkitgtk as epiphany is doing
>     >
>     > https://git.gnome.org/browse/epiphany/tree/embed/web-extension
>     >
>     > A postMessage method with a message-received signal is something we
>     > might want to upstream, but we don't necessarily need to do so,
>     as far
>     > as I can tell it can be implemented with the current webkit2gtk.
>
>     We also need to think when to switch Browse activity to webkit2.
>

> It's enabled in F-19/gnome 3.8 I believe so if you want to start
> playing the SoaSv9 Alpha Test composes in a VM would be an excellent
> spot to start :-D
>
> All versions here:
> http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/
>
> Latest one here:
> http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/19-Alpha-TC3/Live/x86_64/Fedora-19-Alpha-TC3-x86_64-Live-SoaS.iso
>
> Peter

Peter:

I just tried to boot the TC3 .iso It fails to load journal after name;
color the f3 (home) appears. f3 (home) is not responsive for f1-f4 keys
or mouse clicks for frame or list view and journal never colors up.

I have seen the same behavior in latest f19 nightlys and as a yum
groupinstall sugar-desktop in gnome an ldxe installs to VirtualBox.
Sugar in f19  does not appear usable as it is.

Tom Gilliard
satellit