[Sugar-devel] [SOLVED] Spellchecking with Write on Sugar Quandong

Coltivare Fiori coltivarefiori at connettivo.net
Wed Oct 31 05:10:50 EDT 2012

I found, eventually, something that I was looking for since several
weeks.  :-)))

---
HOW TO ENABLE SPELLCHECKING IN THE WRITE ACTIVITY ON SUGAR QUANDONG
---

1) WHY IS SPELLCHECKING IMPORTANT

Spellchecking can help children with writing disabilities go quicker,
and in particular not to fall below the speed required to follow the
meaning within the wording.

2) HOW TO ENABLE SPELLCHECKING IN WRITE FOR THE DEFAULT LANGUAGE OF SUGAR

The hint, (found reading
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/index.php/t-247039.html), is to
install the packages

	- aspell,
	- aspell-<your language code>, AND also
	- enchant-aspell, that is necessary for Abiword to use aspell.

In short,

	sudo yum install aspell aspell-it enchant-aspell

did the trick for me.

3) HOW TO ENABLE SPELLCHECKING IN WRITE FOR THE A DOCUMENT IN A LANGUAGE
THAT IS NOT THE DEFAULT LANGUAGE OF SUGAR

Follow the instructions at
http://www.olpcnews.com/software/sugar/hacking_sugars_write_activity_to_support_spellchecking.html
and use the right-click (if your device allows it) to select the
language of the document.
IF THE CORRESPONDING aspell-<code of the language desired> PACKAGE IS
ALREADY INSTALLED (with 'sudo yum install aspell-<code of the language
desired>'), then spellchecking will work.

4) WHAT TO DO WHEN A WORD IS MARKED AS INCORRECT

Right-click on the word marked as incorrect and get help :-))

5) VARIATIONS

I guess that the same results could be achieved with some mixup of
enchant and hunspell, but I have not tried that actually.

6) HOW DID I GET THERE

I knew that spellchecking was available on XO's at a time, and
afterwards, it was not.
I thought that I should have been a developer to know why, and I went
the developer's way. I dedicated a machine to Sugar, and I installed
Fedora 17, then I started compiling the latest Write activity, but I
could not. Then I was informed that compiling the latest versions
requires the latest Fedora, but this was a nightmare. Not only a simple
"yum update" on my Fedora 17 broke it so badly that I had to reinstall
it from scratch, but Fedora 18 alpha did not install and I made my mind
about attempting to build a legacy Write on a legacy Sugar, letting some
Sugar developer examine my findings if any. At the end, I did not even
need to recompile Write. :-)

7) TESTING ON THE XO, AND FOLLOW-UP

Can anybody check this hint out on the XO? I don't have a XO.

Then, I think that it may be worth publishing the hint somewhere, maybe
the Sugar wiki or olpcnews.

---

Thanks to everybody!

Ernesto