[Sugar-devel] Maliit 0.93.0 OSK language layout cycle key testing

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Tue Oct 30 08:12:06 EDT 2012

Excellent work everyone!!!

On 10/30/2012 04:36 AM, Gary C Martin wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> I wasn't having much luck with yum upgrade seeing the arm versions on the XOs
> here for testing yet, but I managed to find your arm build tonight at [1], and
> installed the below rpms on an XO-4 for some quick testing of the new language
> layout cycle key support:
>
> maliit-framework-0.93.0-1.fc18.armv7hl.rpm
> maliit-framework-gtk2-0.93.0-1.fc18.armv7hl.rpm
> maliit-framework-gtk3-0.93.0-1.fc18.armv7hl.rpm
> maliit-plugins-0.93.0-1.fc18.armv7hl.rpm
>
> Wanted to quickly confirm that all is working well :) The language layout key
> icon is rendering correctly on the keyboard (world map icon [3]); that the key
> is cycling through the enabled layouts on each press; and once it reaches the
> last enabled layout it loops back to the first layout.
>
> I can also confirm that the extended key fix [2] is correctly included.
>
> I am considering one small design change on these layouts, to swap the language
> layout key with the ?123 key to the left, so that the language key is in the far
> left keyboard corner. This will keep its position stable as you cycle through
> different keyboard layouts allowing you can tap in the same location without
> needing to visually check it might have shifted a little (the ?123 size can vary
> on some layouts due to additional keys).
>
> I will re-test the OSK tomorrow on an XO-1.75 for checking portrait orientation
> layouts (XO-4s don't yet have gfx support for screen rotation).
>
> Many (!) thanks must go to Michael (mikhas) for his Sunday maliit coding, patch,
> and release, this was almost a lost feature for the 13.1.0 target!!
>
> Daniel: If possible we should try to enable two, perhaps three layouts in the
> next test build so the feature can be more widely used/demoed/tested – keeping
> in mind there is no existing way to hide this key if only one layout is enabled
> (the key has no effect if only one language layout is enabled).

Gary, the easiest for testing is to edit
/home/olpc/.config/maliit.org/server.conf

Here is an example I did you try as working fine:
http://dev.laptop.org/attachment/ticket/12166/server.conf

But maybe having by default (en, es, fr might be a good bet or going
with more fancy ones to show off) is a good idea.

Cheers,
    Simon