[Sugar-devel] Maliit 0.93.0 OSK language layout cycle key testing

Gary C Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 29 23:36:57 EDT 2012

Hi Peter,

I wasn't having much luck with yum upgrade seeing the arm versions on the XOs here for testing yet, but I managed to find your arm build tonight at [1], and installed the below rpms on an XO-4 for some quick testing of the new language layout cycle key support:

maliit-framework-0.93.0-1.fc18.armv7hl.rpm
maliit-framework-gtk2-0.93.0-1.fc18.armv7hl.rpm
maliit-framework-gtk3-0.93.0-1.fc18.armv7hl.rpm
maliit-plugins-0.93.0-1.fc18.armv7hl.rpm

Wanted to quickly confirm that all is working well :) The language layout key icon is rendering correctly on the keyboard (world map icon [3]); that the key is cycling through the enabled layouts on each press; and once it reaches the last enabled layout it loops back to the first layout.

I can also confirm that the extended key fix [2] is correctly included.

I am considering one small design change on these layouts, to swap the language layout key with the ?123 key to the left, so that the language key is in the far left keyboard corner. This will keep its position stable as you cycle through different keyboard layouts allowing you can tap in the same location without needing to visually check it might have shifted a little (the ?123 size can vary on some layouts due to additional keys).

I will re-test the OSK tomorrow on an XO-1.75 for checking portrait orientation layouts (XO-4s don't yet have gfx support for screen rotation).

Many (!) thanks must go to Michael (mikhas) for his Sunday maliit coding, patch, and release, this was almost a lost feature for the 13.1.0 target!!

Daniel: If possible we should try to enable two, perhaps three layouts in the next test build so the feature can be more widely used/demoed/tested – keeping in mind there is no existing way to hide this key if only one layout is enabled (the key has no effect if only one language layout is enabled).

Regards,
--Gary

[1] http://arm.koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/builds
[2] http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/12205