[Sugar-devel] Fwd: [Maliit-discuss] Maliit 0.93.0 released

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 22:48:24 EDT 2012

Kudos to dsd and garycmartin.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Michael Hasselmann <michaelh at openismus.com>
Date: Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 3:08 PM
Subject: [Maliit-discuss] Maliit 0.93.0 released
To: Maliit <maliit-discuss at lists.maliit.org>
Cc: maliit-announce <maliit-announce at lists.maliit.org>

What's new?
===========

Maliit Keyboard can be used with 50 different language layouts. It's one of the
strength of Free Software that we don't have to use arbitrary selection critera
(such as amount of native speakers) when deciding which language layout to
include. Everyone can contribute new layouts and so far, we have always
accepted and merged them (once they passed basic testing).

The language layout file format is XML based and has grown quite powerful over
time. While editing by hand is still feasible (the recent contributions are
proof), we could really make use of a graphical layout file editor which
supports all the layout file features.

The QML reference plugin (Nemo Keyboard) can now be selected even if
maliit-framework was compiled against Qt5.

Use "$ qmake CONFIG+=disable-[nemo|maliit]-keyboard" to prevent building and
installation of either the QML or the C++ reference plugin.

Where can I get it?
===================

* framework:
  http://maliit.org/releases/maliit-framework/maliit-framework-0.93.0.tar.bz2
* plugins:
  http://maliit.org/releases/maliit-plugins/maliit-plugins-0.93.0.tar.bz2

What is it?
===========

Maliit provides a flexible and cross-platform input method framework. It has a
plugin-based client-server architecture where applications act as clients and
communicate with the Maliit server via input context plugins. Maliit is an open
source framework (LGPL 2) with open source plugins (BSD).

Visit http://maliit.org for more informattion about the project.

Who contributed to this release?
================================

* Aby Z Thomas
* Daniel Drake
* Gary Martin
* John Brooks
* Marco Martin
* Michael Hasselmann
* Norayr Chilingarian
* Ruediger Gad

What changed in detail?
=======================

CHANGES IN FRAMEWORK SINCE 0.92.5
* Monitor SW_TABLET_MODE to determine hardware keyboard presence
  -  A new, default implementation for MImHwKeyboardTracker: we look for a
     readable evdev device which has a SW_TABLET_MODE switch. If found, we use
     that device for determining the presence/availability of the hardware
     keyboard.
* Allow QML plugins to send key events:
  - Use MInputMethodQuick.sendKey()

CHANGES IN PLUGINS SINCE 0.92.5
* Added 10 new language layouts
  - Armenian, Bengali, French-Swiss, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Malayalam,
    Tamil, Telugu and Urdu.
* Implemented key actions to switch between language layouts
  - Use <key action="[left|right]-layout">...</key> to define keys for
    switching to surrounding language layouts (also known as subviews, from the
    framework's perspective).
* Various improvements to Nemo Keyboard plugin.
* Allow to disable either Nemo or Maliit Keybord plugin
  - Use qmake CONFIG+=disable-[nemo|maliit]-keyboard to prevent building and
    installation of either the QML or the C++ reference plugin.

BUG FIXES
* Fix focus handling for Qt5
* Fix the build when disabling GTK+ support
* Fix QML plugin loading for Qt5
* Fix "fullscreen" surfaces (required by QtQuick still):
  - Events can be passed through to application again even if input method with
    a semi-translucent "fullscreen" surface is shown.
* Fixes: MALIIT#195 - Extended key feature does not work with any keys where a
  width is specified in the layout
* Fixes: NEMO#451 - Use a single MouseArea for the whole keyboard