[Sugar-devel] Google code in

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 11:57:12 EDT 2012

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 11:38 AM, Chris Leonard
<cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com> wrote:

> Given how dependent Sugar Labs and OLPC are on the upstream software
> stack, there are certain to be tasks for projects that will have
> benefits that will flow downstream to us.

Anything that improves any of the packages listed in a recent OLPC
Release packages.txt file would have direct benefits to our users.

x86 (XO-1)
http://build.laptop.org/13.1.0/os6/xo-1/31006o0.packages.txt

Just as an example, ARM architecture is new to a number of upstream
projects.  Anything that improved the ARM version of a package would
be a big win for Sugar Labs / OLPC.

ARM (XO-4)
http://build.laptop.org/13.1.0/os6/xo-4/31006o4.packages.txt

Of course, it remains to be seen which orgs are selected to
participate and what tasks they set, but my point is that there there
is lots of room for upstream work that is directly relevant to our
community.

Working with the upstream is also a fine lesson in the social and
technical aspects of FOSS development you an aspiring young coder to
learn.

If I had to guess I would say the chance of the Sugarista recruiting
their mentor to working on Sugar is probably greater than the chance
that the mentor would pull the Sugarista away from Sugar into the
upstream project :-)

cjl