[Sugar-devel] NPR story on OLPC in Peru

Christoph Derndorfer christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 11:41:59 EDT 2012

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 5:35 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
> wireless
> >> network.
> >>
> >> Obviously, in our case, we have a wireless network and essentially
> >> continuous access to the internet. But, what I have had to fight
> against is
> >> that this is the most basic use of any computing device.
> >>
> >> The only way I have been able to stem this tide is to come up with
> >> projects and programs that made use of the XOs as standalone or mesh
> >> networked devices. For example, we have done a lot with Memorize and
> Etoys
> >> and Scratch (and beginning to work with TurtleBlocks). I have found that
> >> once the students and teachers are involved with these activities, the
> >> internet stuff goes away.
> >>
> >> But the bigger point that is missed in the story, and the broader
> >> conversation, is that the XOs and Sugar tap into non-traditional
> methods of
> >> teaching and learning. When this invisible line is crossed, real magic
> >> happens. It is the conversations which illuminate this invisible line
> that
> >> is tough.
> >

> > Gerald,
> >
> > please don't forget that very few of the teachers in Peru have the
> > affordances available to you when you worked against that tide and helped
> > your pupils reach that invisible line. You have received countless years
> of
> > professional training, have ready access to the world's and the
> community's
> > accumulated knowledge about using XOs and Sugar (thanks to the Internet),
> > deal with student bodies who generally don't go hungry, have a pyhsic and
> > social infrastructure that's available at very few Peruvian schools, etc.
> >
> > In short, I believe in the importance of crossing that invisible line
> and I
> > have been lucky enough to see some glimpses of that happening in the past
> > few years. However a significant number of pupils and teachers in Peru
> are
> > miles and miles away from that line and will need other ways of support
> > even get them close to it.
> >
> > I also think it's odd to see how the role of the Internet and the
> > connectivity it enables between people is apparently deemphasized in this
> > conversation. I remember a time where Connectivity was one of the 5
> > principles of OLPC, and for good reasons I dare say. Due to the
> limitations
> > of the Mesh network (and similarly so the newer ad-hoc networking
> options)
> > and the lack of infrastructure components such as access points most
> pupils
> > and teachers in Peru barely have access to local connectivity and all the
> > affordances (incl. Sugar's collaboration features) and value it provides.
>
> No one is discounting the dire state of connectivity in Peru and as
> CJL pointed out, there are people activitly trying to do something

Point taken.

> > Also I believe that people here will simply have to get used to bad news
> > (whether fully justified or not) coming out of Peru. The project there
> still
> > has potential but unless a lot of additional resources and brain power
> are
> > invested into its overall value proposition and usefulness will always
> > remain questionable at best.
>
> I think you are projecting your own agenda on this discussion.

And you're not? ;-)

> Again,
> no one is burying their head in the sand re short-comings, but at
> least some of us believe that lack of Internet access does not mean
> lack of opportunity to learn.

I'm not saying that a lack of Internet access equals a lack of learning
opportunities (and I agree with your fundamental criticism of the NPR
article there). At the same time there's no doubt that what is already an
*extremely* challenging thing to do under the best of circumstances
(getting across that line) is made even harder without Internet
connectivity or offline substitutes such as school servers.

Cheers,
Christoph

e-mail: christoph at derndorfer.eu