[Sugar-devel] How to enable spellchecking on Write Activity?

Coltivare Fiori coltivarefiori at connettivo.net
Wed Oct 10 15:38:21 EDT 2012

Hello to everybody!

I am running Sugar 0.96.1 with Write Activity version 79. I read the
page at
http://www.olpcnews.com/software/sugar/hacking_sugars_write_activity_to_support_spellchecking.html
but it refers to settings that must have changed a lot.

Spellchecking is quite important with some learning disabilities,
because it allows a quick feedback and therefore a compensation for the
kid. Since text-to-speech is also quite important with some learning
disabilities, I would prefer not to downgrade from Sugar 0.96.1, except
for learning.

Any idea? I already tried to install a not-so-recent abispell rpm (with
# rpm -ivh abispell-it-IT-1.0-1.i386.rpm, providing files
/usr/share/AbiSuite/dictionary/italian.hash and
/usr/share/AbiSuite/dictionary/italian.hash-encoding), but then I don't
know what to do.

At http://freecode.com/projects/abiword I read "No extra packages are
needed for spell checking in AbiWord", at least for en-US.

At http://www.abisource.com/support/faq/, I read "Your AbiWord
distribution contains a file called american.hash. This is a dictionary
of English words".

But I cannot "find / -name american.hash" in the machine running Sugar.

What am I missing? =-O

TIA

Ernesto