[Sugar-devel] About installing Sugar on a stick... with "--format"

Coltivare Fiori coltivarefiori at connettivo.net
Tue Oct 9 07:01:16 EDT 2012

The first real problem that I found looking into Sugar was that I was
not able to create a SoaS following the instructions at
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Linux

This looks important to me, because I think that it is hard to imagine
what Sugar is without seeing one running, and to have one run, the
preferred way is a SoaS.

I eventually solved my problems by using (with the USB key mounted) the
"--format" option for livecd-iso-to-disk, like this

/media/soas/LiveOS/livecd-iso-to-disk --reset-mbr --format
--overlay-size-mb 500 --home-size-mb 800 --delete-home
--unencrypted-home /path/to/Fedora-17-i686-Live-SoaS.iso /dev/sdX

Now, I think that if one uses a key for SoaS, it would be simple and
clear to state that the key should be just formatted when installing
SoaS. Therefore, I think that some instructions now at
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Linux are confusing, and I
would like to replace them with a suggestion to use this option,
"format". Would I be right? Can I go on?

Thank you for any advice.

Ernesto