[Sugar-devel] Broadway - A play-writing game

Austin Bart acbart at vt.edu
Mon Oct 8 02:01:20 EDT 2012

Hi Sugar-Devel,

http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4602

I hope this is the right place to post this. I just finished the first
public release of my XO game "Broadway" and I'd like to let the greater XO
community know about it. My quick pitch for it: "*Broadway is a play
writing game where you create a script, choose a backdrop, add some actors,
and then watch your creation come alive through animation and
text-to-speech."*

Broadway is written using Pygame, and additionally uses
Spyral<https://github.com/rdeaton/spyral>for handling sprites and PGU
<http://code.google.com/p/pgu/>for user interfaces. It is somewhat similar
to the Story Builder <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Story_Builder> software,
which also uses PGU; however Broadway is more advanced and stable (thanks
to many bug corrections I have introduced into PGU). I admit that the
source code is really bad in some places (filePanel.py is a nightmare in
particular), but I've done my best.

I've been working on this game a little over a year now. I tested an
earlier version in a classroom (which was for my
thesis<http://servo.cs.wlu.edu/pubs/bitstream/handle/id/277/acbart-honorsthesis.v3.pdf?sequence=1>),
and made revisions based on that. I'm now releasing an experimental version
of the game to collect feedback and hopefully have it used in actual
educational environments. My long-term plan is to rewrite Broadway as a PyGTK
application <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Integrated_Writing_Environment> with
more powerful writing tools and resources (e.g. spell checking). For now,
since I have other commitments that take priority in my life, I'm going to
keep patching this pygame Broadway based on any input I receive.

If you would like to try out Broadway, please check it
out<http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4602>and tell me
what you think. The source
code <https://github.com/acbart/broadway.activity> is also available. If
you have suggestions for places I should post to instead of this listing,
please let me know! I've been working with XOs for a while now, but I still
don't know much at all about the community.

Thanks,
~Cory