[Sugar-devel] [TRANSIENT ISSUE] 3G-Modem not being recognised

Ajay Garg ajay at activitycentral.com
Wed Nov 21 23:38:41 EST 2012

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 5:04 AM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> Thanks Ajay.
>
> Can you confirm this is on XO-1.75 with 13.1.0 os11?

Ahh yes. It is on XO-1.75 with 13.1.0 os11.

Sorry for not being clear previously :-\

 I think you
> mentioned XO-1.75 and 13.1.0 in a previous reply, but you might have
> changed the configuration since then.
>
> At step c, where the modem is not detected, I take it you mean that
> the Sugar frame icon does not appear.  I know you said your nm_test.py
> script does not list the device.
>
> I wanted to test your nm_test.py.  It seems reliable.  In the same
> test, I was unable to reproduce your problem.  My test is below.
>
> I suggest in your case obtaining kernel dmesg output for two
> scenarios:
>
> - the modem is inserted after Sugar has started,

Ok, so here are the steps ::

a)
Ensure that a pen-drive is inserted in one USB-slot; and the modem in
another.

b)
Reboot.

c)
The modem-icon does not appear in the frame.

The "/var/log/messages" at this stage are attached as "case_1_messages"
The "dmesg" messages  at this stage are attached as "case_1_dmesg".

======================

d)
Reboot.

e)
The modem-icon does not appear in the frame.

f)
Remove (unplug) the modem.

g)
Re-plug the modem.

h)
The modem-icon now appears in the frame.

The "/var/log/messages" at this stage are attached as "case_2_messages"
The "dmesg" messages  at this stage are attached as "case_2_dmesg".

=================

I proceeded further with an additional workflow.

i)
Unmount and remove the pen-drive.

j)
Reboot.

k)
The modem-icon appears in the frame.

l)
Insert the pen-drive (so that log-files can be copied on this external
storage).

The "/var/log/messages" at this stage are attached as "case_3_messages"
The "dmesg" messages  at this stage are attached as "case_3_dmesg".

Please let me know if I could provide any other info.