[Sugar-devel] offline a.sl.o

Aleksey Lim alsroot at sugarlabs.org
Thu Nov 29 20:43:05 EST 2012

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 08:20:23PM -0500, Dr. Gerald Ardito wrote:
> This is very interesting.
>
> I have a kind of related question. Has there been any work done for a
> non-internet based email server (and XO based client)?
> I know that Tony Anderson (now in Rwanda) is working in a school with no
> internet access, but with the need for email-type communication.

Generally speaking, people (students and teachers) from Peruvian
one-teachers offline schools might need the same "offline email".
But the approach that was take for Sugar Network is not trying to create
full featured/partial replacement of online environments (e.g., email,
web, wikipedia, feedback reporting system, etc) but create one
solid/robust system (that is capable for offline) with features:

* content sharing (both ways, not only from deployers to deployments)
* having reliable feedback from the field, i.e., fail reports, usage
  statistics, questions
* and social activity regarding the content in general (review, comments, etc)

So, there is no direct offline-email analogy. But in my mind, designed
Sugar Network functionality makes offline-email less needed (and not
needed at all if we are talking about environments like rural schools
with no any IT skilled people).

--
Aleksey