[Sugar-devel] Etoys mp3 files

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu May 31 16:48:59 EDT 2012

On 31.05.2012, at 20:02, Ajay Garg wrote:

> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 11:24 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>> On 31.05.2012, at 19:33, Ajay Garg wrote:
>>
>>> However, when I press "Play", NOTHING happens. I don't hear any sound, nor do I see any error (The mp3 is fine otherwise, it playes well via gst-launch).
>>>
>> Well, does sound work in Etoys otherwise? Like, in the car's viewer, if you click the yellow exclamation mark button next to "car make sound", do you hear anything?
>
> Also, when I press the exclamation mark - set in between "Car script1" and "ticking" - I hear no sound.

Okay, so sound output is broken.

> Any quick idea ?
> Otherwise I am going into the depths pointed by you :D

The Squeak tools are unlikely to help in this case. Sounds more like a VM problem - make sure the right sound module is selected (ALSA or OSS or Pulse). See the /usr/bin/etoys script and "squeak -help". The VM is just a C program that you debug pretty much like any other C program (even though parts of it are generated from Squeak code).

Also, if you compiled the VM yourself, pay attention to the configure output. If you do not have the right dev packages installed, some modules will be disabled and do not get built.

Also note there are various tickets regarding sound on d.l.o.

- Bert -