[Sugar-devel] Etoys mp3 files

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu May 31 13:54:00 EDT 2012

On 31.05.2012, at 19:33, Ajay Garg wrote:

> Ok,
>
> After much of head-banging, I finally compared the strace dumps from my Dell laptop, and my XO-1.
> I noted that, that on Dell, squeakvm was being launched from "/usr/local/lib", while on XO-1, from "/usr/bin".
>
> I made the required changes, and surprisingly, everything fell in place.
>
> Well.. only to the point of starting the etoys :\
>

> Now, upon launching the sugar-etoys, and navigating to "Supplies" -> "Object Catalog" -> "Multimedia" -> "MPEGPlayer" -> "Open" -> "Choosing a file" -> "Clicking OK", thankfully, the "abandon" error is no more seen :) :) :)
>
> However, when I press "Play", NOTHING happens. I don't hear any sound, nor do I see any error (The mp3 is fine otherwise, it playes well via gst-launch).

Well, does sound work in Etoys otherwise? Like, in the car's viewer, if you click the yellow exclamation mark button next to "car make sound", do you hear anything?

Also, the position slider should start moving.

> Bert, is there a mechanism wherein I can see SOMEthing, which may give a clue as to why no sound can be heard (even an error somewhere here and there might be useful, but it needs to be seen first :D )

Well, you have the full Squeak development environment at your disposal, if you care to learn how to use it ;)

You can press the view-source key on the XO, or Control-Comma. That gives you access to the dev tools. Execute any code you see or type anywhere by pressing Control-D (or Control-P or Control-I, just try the difference on "3+4", for example).

Also, you should enable the "debugHaloHandle" preference. Then right-clicking will give you a wrench icon in the halo, that lets you explore the object on screen. (I usually keep this enabled using the "set automatically on startup..." preference menu item)

If you have an object selected in the object explorer, press ctrl-b to open a source code browser. Or click the middle mouse button to bring up a menu (control-click works if you only have two buttons).

That's pretty much all you need to figure out what's going on :)

- Bert -